Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kok An withdraws civil suit

Kok An withdraws civil suit

Kok An withdraws civil suit

120105_03
Kok An, chairman of Anco Brothers Company, speaks to the Post outside Phnom Penh Municipal Court in December last year.

Senator Kok An has withdrawn a civil suit seeking more than US$63 million from the husband and wife convicted last month of breach of trust for embezzling funds from his company Anco Brothers, Phnom Penh Municipal Court President Chiv Keng said yesterday.

“He has withdrawn his civil lawsuit against Heng Chheang and Tep Kolap, but he has included [his demand for repayment and compensation] in his criminal lawsuit,” Chiv Keng told the Post.

The request for $5 million in compensation and repayment of more than $58 million has been added to the criminal suit that will be heard at the Court of Appeal, Kok An’s lawyer Long Dara said.

Heng Chheang, former Anco deputy general director and his wife, Tep Kolap, former rector of the Phnom Penh International University, were found guilty last month of embezzling $34 million from the company between 2008 and 2010.

An independent audit, conducted after the initial charge, found that since 2001, Heng Chheang had transferred more than $58 million from the company to his and his wife’s bank accounts.

Long Dara said Kok An had withdrawn his civil suit on December 14 after adding a request for compensation and repayment to his criminal suit on December 8. The husband and wife were found guilty and each sentenced to four and a half years in prison on December 7.

“My client decided to withdraw his civil complaint against Heng Chheang and Tep Kolap because he did not want to waste his time,” Long Dara said.  

Ourn  Hing, a lawyer for Heng Chheang and Tep Kolap, said the maneuver was illegal.

The appeals court could only consider the verdict from the lower court, which had not included a request for repayment and compensation, he said. “I think this is a retreat [by Kok An] after Heng Chheang provided documents and proof that no money was lost from his company,” he said. Ourn Hing also reiterated that his clients were innocent, that their arrest was a violation of human rights, and that they were being illegally detained and kidnapped for ransom.

Heng Chheang said that since he and his wife had been arrested, his and nine other families had been driven into poverty because their property had been seized by the court and they were unable to repay loans.

He has said that Kok An was using the court to steal his property.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh