Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KR bid at talks snubbed

KR bid at talks snubbed

KR bid at talks snubbed

FOURTH military region commander Khan Savoeun has refused to negotiate loosening

the army cordon around Anlong Veng and has moved to the front line near the rebel

stronghold.

Khmer Rouge deputy general chief of staff Duol Sareoun and Ta Pheap contacted RCAF

on Mar 28 and said that they wanted to talk with Savoeun on the radio but he refused,

4th military region deputy commander Long Serea Roth said.

"He [Khan Savoeun] ... said he just wanted to talk with Ta Mok or Pol Pot only."

The KR officers reportedly wanted RCAF to withdraw and continue negotiations.

Savouen moved to O Phdau, 20km from the rebel stronghold, on Apr 1 to personally

command troops.

Some 60 KR families have left Anlong Veng to locations in Anlong Kranh and Chup Svay

fearing government attack, according to a front line commander, Seng Pich Monyl.

KR breakaway group official Long Narin claims that the hostages are alive and that

Ta Mok has requested a 50-day extension to release them, according to an ICOM radio

interception. "Ta Mok... will not accept talks," he says. "When the

wet season comes, he will probably request a three-month extension. That's how they

operate."

Meanwhile, Thai military sources have been sending mixed signals on the fate of 15

government negotiators held in Anlong Veng since Feb 14. Thai second military region

officers at a Cambodian-Thai meeting in northwestern Thailand on Mar 17 claimed that

12 or 13 had been killed but that Ta Mok denied any responsibility.

A Thai military delegation in Siem Reap Mar 30 gave a different account of the situation,

saying that the hostages were alive."Thai delegates told us that the our brothers

were not killed," Serea Roth said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a

  • Textile industry minimum wage now $200

    The official minimum wage for workers in textile-related sectors including garment, footwear, and travel goods for 2023 was pegged at $198, with Prime Minister Hun Sen stepping in to add $2 to the total, making it $200 per month. The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training made the announcement