Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KR said behind 3 atrocities

KR said behind 3 atrocities

KR said behind 3 atrocities

K HMER Rouge guerrillas are said to be responsible for three separate atrocities in which a total of 55 villagers died and 12 were injured.

Eight KR soldiers slaughtered 40 villagers after taking them hostage while they were collecting bamboo beside a stream in Mongol Borei district, Battambang, Reasmey Kampuchea said on Oct 31.

The paper quoted from four survivors who escaped the Oct 22 massacre with gunshot wounds. A further two villagers survived the killing but subsequently went missing, Reasmey said.

The villagers had been marched off into a KR-controlled zone to a base camp. There all but the four women in the party had their hands bound and all were forced to walk another 4 km into the jungle.

At the killing ground the hostages were told to sit on the ground while the guerrillas took up positions at three different angles around them and opened fire with automatic weapons, the paper said.

In a second incident on Oct 19 gunmen said to be Khmer Rouge guerrillas killed eight Vietnamese, including four women and one child and wounded three others, including one Cambodian, in Charalay village, Chul Kiri district, Kompong Chhnang, Rasmei Kampuchea reported.

The guerrillas swooped on the village in ten boats and looted 4 million riel and a large amount of property during the bloody raid.

The third incident again occured on Oct 22, when two Vietnamese families in Kompong Chhnang were massacred.

The Vietnamese Embassy issued a statement condemning the Khmer Rouge for the attack but one witness said the gunmen were in government military uniforms entered the zone and shouted: "Are you Khmer or Vietnamese?" during the raid on Rathalay village, Roleas Prek district about 10 km norwest of Kompong Chhnang province.

The gunmen arrived in two boats, divided into small groups and went searching for Vietnamese in the floating houses in the area. They found two families and killed seven and wounded three of them, according to the Vietnamese Embassy.

Police made no comment on the incident but said they are investigating.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • Four-pillar approach in reopening of tourism: PM

    Cambodia is drawing up a four-strategy approach to promptly restore domestic and international tourism activity and put the industry on a transition pathway to a sustainable and inclusive model that is resistant to future crises, according to Prime Minister Hun Sen. The prime minister made

  • Airline says ready for green light to reopen international tourism

    Sky Angkor Airline Co Ltd on September 21 said it is ready to transport South Korean and Chinese tourists to the Kingdom once the Cambodian government makes good on plans to reopen its borders to vaccinated travellers. The Siem Reap-based airline made the remark during a

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Cambodian bride ‘badly treated, held captive’ by Chinese man seeks help

    A Cambodian woman who travelled to China to marry a Chinese man there was “badly treated” by her husband’s family and then had to be rescued and will be returned to Cambodia to ensure her safety. The rescue operation came about after the 25-year-old