Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KR Tribunal: Contempt proceedings considered



KR Tribunal: Contempt proceedings considered

KR Tribunal: Contempt proceedings considered

KR Tribunal
Judges at the Khmer Rouge tribunal are actively considering contempt proceedings against people who have leaked confidential court documents as well as media outlets that have published them, a court spokesman said yesterday.

The comments followed the publication on Monday of confidential documents by the New Zealand-based Scoop news site.

“The co-investigating judges have already made clear that they may pursue by legal means anyone publishing from confidential court documents,” court spokesman Lars Olsen said, referring to a June 9 statement.

“Contempt of court procedures against persons who forwarded confidential documents without authorisation and against those who published them are under active consideration by the office of the co-investigating judges,” Olsen added.

The United States-based Christian Science Monitor published two articles earlier this month that quoted extensively from confidential documents relating to the court’s controversial Cases 003 and 004, sparking the statement from the judges.

Scoop cited the judges’ rejection of a Case 003 civil party application by Rob Hamill, who lost his brother to the Khmer Rouge, in explaining its decision to publish.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting