Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KR witness list sent to judges

KR witness list sent to judges

KR witness list sent to judges

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Prosecutors of Tuol Sleng prison chief Kaing Guek Eav have submitted a

list of witnesses who they believe should testify against the Khmer

Rouge cadre.

Photo by:
AFP

A Khmer Rouge victim outside the tribunal on the day of Nuon Chea's appeal against his pretrial detention.

PROSECUTORS at the Khmer Rouge tribunal confirmed Tuesday that they have sent a list of witnesses they wish to be called upon in the court's upcoming first trial of former Tuol Sleng prison chief Kaing Guek Eav, known as Duch, expected to begin in March.

International prosecutor Robert Petit told the Post that a list had been submitted to the trial chamber of the court, but did not want to disclose how many witnesses it included. He said, however, that given the amount, the trial would likely take between three to four months.

According to the rules of the court, other parties have until January 19 to submit their own witness lists before judges finally choose whom they will summon.

International lawyer for civil party participants Silke Studzinsky told the Post Tuesday she believed the list to include survivors as well as people who had worked at the school-turned-torture facility that Duch headed, but could not give details until the judges had formally summoned them.

When contacted by the Post Tuesday, Van Nath, a survivor of the prison, was unable to confirm that he would be summoned to court, but as one of the only surviving witnesses to the crimes of the accused, said he was ready to testify.

 "I have waited a long time for the hearing of [Duch]. I will present my evidence and talk to the tribunal about the torture and condition of life at the prison, in which I was detained during the regime," he said.

"I have told the tribunal already about this evidence and when the KRT needs me, I am happy to testify," he added.

How many is enough?

Media reports speculated Tuesday that more than 30 witnesses were on the prosecutors' list. Youk Chhang, director of the Documentation Centre of Cambodia, said he believed this to be "reasonable" considering the trial focused only on one prison, but said he hoped the court would not forget the importance of victim participation.

 "I would remind the court that there are many victims that would like to participate in the trial," he said Tuesday.

Up to 16,000 people were tortured or killed at Tuol Sleng. 

MOST VIEWED

  • Draft law on state of emergency pending finalisation

    Prime Minister Hun Sen will lead a top-level meeting on Tuesdays to review the draft law on imposing a state of emergency. Meantime, he has decided to close all casinos in Cambodia effective April 1. In the press conference after the National Assembly met today, Hun

  • State of emergency on table amid pandemic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen, his deputy prime ministers and legal team will meet on Tuesday to review the draft law on declaring a state of emergency, as Covid-19 cases rose to 107 in the Kingdom on Monday. Speaking at a press conference after a parliament meeting

  • Stranded passengers petition UK for help

    Some 10,521 people have signed an online petition calling on British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and relevant officials to fly nearly 200 passengers out of Cambodia. The petition is targeted at 15,000 people. Most of the passengers are British nationals, who are stranded in Cambodia after airlines cancelled

  • No word on state of emergency

    The National Assembly (NA) said it will postpone all unnecessary meetings in line with guidance from the Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) amid the Covid-19 pandemic. However, it did not say when or how it will debate the “state of emergency”

  • Many in limbo as tension heightens

    As the Kingdom restricts travel and prepares for a state of emergency, some foreigners in Cambodia are scrambling for a way home. Foreign embassies in Phnom Penh are making efforts to get their citizens out, but cancelled flights have become common due to the coronavirus

  • Covid-19 Pandemic: Force majeure and legal consequences

    Is the Covid-19 pandemic considered an event of force majeure? The World Health Organisation declared the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak a pandemic on March 11. Following this declaration, the Ministry of Health and other ministries have taken various legal and administrative measures to prevent the rapid