Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kralanh massacre reports being checked

Kralanh massacre reports being checked

Kralanh massacre reports being checked

A bout 95 villagers, abducted by Khmer Rouge rebels to work on roads in Siem Reap province in mid October, have been reported to have been massacred.

The province's Deputy Governor, Hem Bunheng, said on December 13 that he had received reports of the killings in Kralanh district but no bodies had yet been found.

He had sent soldiers to Keut Mountain, where the massacre was said to have occurred, and was awaiting word from them.

"I can't confirm it is a true story. It is just a report which I have received from my colleagues in Kralanh district."

The villagers were reportedly killed about December 7 after their families failed to pay rice ransoms for them.

He rejected any suggestions the killings, if they happened, were a response to the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces' recent capture of the former KR Phnom Kulen stronghold.

The villagers were among some 300 people abducted by the KR in Kralanh and Srey Snam districts in October. Guerrillas were said to have gone around villages demanding 20 to 25 people from each and threatening to burn down houses if they were not provided.

In what was seen as part of the KR's preparations for dry-season fighting with the RCAF, the villagers were put to work building roads from their Anlong Veng stronghold to six nearby districts. They were also made to transport ammunition for the rebels.

Hem Bunheng said several hundred of the villagers had since escaped and returned to their homes. Those remaining, who were now reported to be dead, were mainly administrative staff such as chiefs and deputy chiefs of villages and communes.

The KR is believed to have been responsible for several recent massacres in northeast Cambodia, including that of Thai timber workers near the border.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Prime Minister Hun Sen invites US president to attend summit in Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen personally invited US President Joe Biden to attend the ASEAN-US Summit which is set to be held in Cambodia in November, as ASEAN and the US are expected to upgrade their strategic partnership to a ‘comprehensive strategic partnership’, according to Prime

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub