Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kratie authorities tell families to get off land



Kratie authorities tell families to get off land

Kratie authorities tell families to get off land

Kratie’s provincial authorities on Friday gave an ultimatum to over 100 families living in Damrei Phong commune in Chhloung district, telling them to get off their land or face legal action.

The group of 104 families, who come from different provinces, say they have lived in the area since 2011, according to rights group Adhoc, which is advocating on their behalf.

However, Deputy Provincial Governor Khan Chamnan did not acknowledge the 104 families’ claims. He insisted that the ultimatum targeted encroachers from other provinces that arrived last year and unlawfully occupied a social land concession (SLC) set to be given to 998 different families who hail from Kratie.

“Local authorities identified [the area] as a land concession, but it overlaps between the 104 and 998 families,” said Cheav Kun, a provincial coordinator with Adhoc.

The SLC used to be an economic land concession, belonging to the rubber-producing Chan Sothea Company. Between 2007 and 2008, the government split some land from the ELC, with the intention of providing it to the 998 families.

The government provided 2 to 3 hectares per family in several stages – so far, 785 of the 998 have received land – but part of the SLC’s area is now in dispute with the 104 families. Chamnan said that district authorities intend to end the dispute.

“Our authority has an obligation to take care of security for those who were legally given the lands,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a