Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kratie man accused of raping minor living next door




Kratie man accused of raping minor living next door

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Police in Kratie province have arrested a 60-year-old man accused of raping a minor multiple times over two months last year.​ Police

Kratie man accused of raping minor living next door

Chitr Borei district police in Kratie province have arrested a 60-year-old man accused of raping a minor multiple times over two months last year.

District police chief Buth Noeun said on Wednesday that the suspect was arrested on Monday after the victim’s parents filed a complaint.

He said the suspect was the victim’s neighbour and that the case has since been forwarded to the provincial Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Bureau.

“In the complaint, the victim detailed that having raped her, the suspect threatened to kill her and her family if she told anyone about the rapes. Having threatened her, the suspect also gave her honey to eat as a consolation,” Noeun said.

He said the victim accused the suspect of raping her three times in November and December last year when she was tending to cattle.

Noeun said the victim said her assailant approached her in the isolated field on his way to collect honey in the forest.

He said the suspect confessed to the crime while being questioned by district police, but denied threatening to kill the victim or her family.

The suspect, he said, told police he had been arguing with his wife who was jealous of the girl months before the crimes were committed.

The provincial deputy police chief in charge of anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection Nov Ratana said she had yet to examine the case, but specialists had received it and were questioning the suspect over the accusation.

“Specialists from the Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Bureau have received the case and the suspect is under investigation. But I have yet to examine the case in detail,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as