Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kratie mine collapses




Kratie mine collapses

Authorities inspect the scene of a gold mine collapse in Kratie province’s Sambor district
Authorities inspect the scene of a gold mine collapse in Kratie province’s Sambor district last week. Photo supplied

Kratie mine collapses

Three miners are still missing following the collapse of a gold mine shaft in Kratie province last Thursday, the latest in a recent spate of mine collapses in Cambodia.

The collapse was the third such incident in the country in the past two weeks and the second in Kratie.

Bun Chheum, Sambor district police chief, said the men were prospectors inspecting the mine. They had a tentative deal to mine the site in exchange for paying the owner, Da Lin, a 50 percent fee of their findings.

The three missing are Chin Theara, 25; Noun Chanra, 50; and Reach Sakea, 21.

Chheum said the 30-metre shaft likely collapsed into another nearby mine.

“The three asked to go down to check if there was gold . . . we don’t know whether they died or not because we could not find them,” Chheum said, adding that the families are assuming the worst and preparing funeral ceremonies.

“After the incident the owner hired people to dig out the bodies, but they could not find them . . .The mine owner is Da Lin and it is not registered . . . We haven’t arrested the owner yet.”

Sar Chamrong, the provincial governor, said local authorities and officials from the Ministry of Mines are doing their best to shut down dangerous, unregistered sites in the province.

“We are searching for more mines to close, in case they are unregistered,” Chamrong said, adding 11 mines had been recently closed.

“We have dug to 50 metres and still have not found their bodies. We asked the owner to give each family 5 million riel [$1,234],” he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for kidnapping in capital

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia