Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KRT gets $1.8m boost

KRT gets $1.8m boost

KRT gets $1.8m boost

The government has promised to cover the $1.8 million shortfall in the Khmer Rouge tribunal’s national side budget, allowing this month’s closing arguments to proceed unimpeded and theoretically ensuring that the court will continue to function through to the end of the year.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs Secretary of State Kao Kim Hourn made the announcement on Wednesday night, but officials at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia said yesterday that they have yet to receive confirmation of the disbursement.

Court spokesman Neth Pheaktra said yesterday that “until now I have not received any official letter or confirmation”. But he maintained that the funding would cover the court’s costs through to the end of the year.

The government has long deflected calls for more funding to the court, saying it lacked the money, and government spokesman Ek Tha yesterday declined to comment on the matter.

Panhavuth Long, a program officer for the Cambodian Justice Initiative, called the donation “a very positive step”, but added that the new money “only guarantees the court proceedings until the end of the year”, when new funding demands will need to be met.

“We worry that the court may not be able to proceed, particularly with the new panel [of judges] to sit on [the remainder of] Case 002, and in Case 003 and Case 004,” he said. “So we call on the government to put more money in so that the funding crisis can be averted … and as an indication of their commitment to ending impunity.”

Spokesman Pheaktra said yesterday that the court’s two halves are scheduled to draft a new budget plan to be submitted to donor countries.

MOST VIEWED

  • PP massage parlours raided, 29 suspects held for prostitution

    The Phnom Penh municipal Military Police on Sunday raided four massage parlours in Por Sen Chey district and detained 29 suspects for questioning over their alleged involvement in prostitution. Deputy municipal Military Police commander Pu Davy on Monday said the four massage parlours were located near

  • PM: All 10 Asean countries to receive Rainsy arrest warrants

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Thursday that all 10 Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) member states will receive warrants for the arrest of Sam Rainsy. The warrants have already been sent to Laos and Thailand. He was speaking at a joint press conference at

  • Overtourism still threatens Angkor Wat

    Ticket sales to the Angkor temples are down. An Angkor Enterprise report has revealed that ticket sales to the Angkor Archaeological Park dropped by more than 11 per cent from the same period last year. Prime Minister Hun Sen isn’t concerned. He told journalists that

  • Human rights report biased, says Cambodia

    Cambodia has accused the 42nd session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva, Switzerland on Wednesday of having “undermined the principle of objectivity”. In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN said the Office of the