Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KRT lowers budget for next year



KRT lowers budget for next year

KRT lowers budget for next year

THE Khmer Rouge tribunal has lowered its multi-million dollar budget for next year, a court official said yesterday.

“Both sides – Cambodian and international – revised the budget for 2011 and they are going to submit this revised budget to the steering committee in New York next year,” court spokesman Reach Sambath said.

The 2011 budget will be submitted “very early next year” and will be “less” than the previously approved proposal of US$46.8 million, he said.

Court officials could not provide details of the budget total or what would be cut.

Under the currently approved budget, 2011 funding for the international side of the hybrid court falls short by about $30 million, and for the Cambodian side by $9 million.

News of the revised budget came on the heels of a $334,000 contribution by the British government, confirmed by the court on Friday, to cover December salaries of staff on the court’s national side, Reach Sambath said.

Staff pay at the hybrid tribunal, which has long been plagued by financial problems, has been repeatedly delayed since the court’s first trial began in early 2009.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting