Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - The KRT: a modest but important step



The KRT: a modest but important step

The KRT: a modest but important step

Dear Editor,

 In the June 29 issue on page 4, The Phnom Penh Post reported that I had been  part of a "small group of people who advocated that the former Khmer Rouge leader [sic] should be tried legitimately outside the country". I would like to correct this misrepresentation. Although I have been acutely aware, given my close work with the justice system, of the constraints and limitations of an international tribunal in Cambodia, or of the Cambodian judiciary hosting a tribunal upholding international standards of justice, I have always thought that if justice was to be due and done, this was first of all to Cambodians, and not to satisfy the bad conscience of some of the countries which have brought about disaster onto this country. A trial in Cambodia was thus the challenge if there was to be a meaningful justice process. 

Although I have never been too vocal about a trial after so many years, I have consistently thought that a trial outside the country, be it in a country of the region, or in The Hague or elsewhere, would be meaningless for Cambodians. If a such trial can have a value in Cambodia, it is in demonstrating to Cambodians that some of the worst crimes of the past cannot remain unpunished, and that they must and will be tried.

This is the main task of the ECCC.

This is a very modest but important step towards combatting the sense of helplessness that many Cambodian who have lived during the Democratic Kampuchea years feel in their heart, the sense that "it is hopeless, that there is no justice in this world". It is a modest but important step to rebuild their confidence in the possibility of human justice, necessarily relative, and in the effort to rebuild a functioning judiciary, which has to gain the confidence of the people if it is to be seen as credible in delivering justice; and a modest but important step to pave the way for the long road to overcome the key issue of impunity in this country."

 
Christophe Peschoux

Country Representative

United Nations Office for the High Commissioner of Human Rights

Send letters to: [email protected] or PO Box 146, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The Post reserves the right to edit letters to a shorter length.
The views expressed above are solely the author's and do not reflect any positions taken by The Phnom Penh Post.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting