Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KRT Supreme Court sets deadline for Duch ruling



KRT Supreme Court sets deadline for Duch ruling

KRT Supreme Court sets deadline for Duch ruling

The Supreme Court Chamber of the Khmer Rouge tribunal “endeavours” to rule “later this year” on appeals against the court’s judgment in its first case, which convicted S-21 jailer Duch for crimes against humanity and grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions.

Kaing Guek Eev, alias Duch, was sentenced in July last year to 35 years in prison – commuted to 30 years for illegal pre-trial detention – for his role in the torture and execution of at least 12,272 people at Tuol Sleng. With credit for time served, the full jail term stood at just 19 years. All parties in the case appealed.

Duch had maintained a disciplined defence strategy throughout the majority of the trial in which he admitted qualified responsibility and offered his co-operation. But, in an extraordinary reversal, the notorious S-21 chief demanded his acquittal in closing arguments.

Duch argued in his appeal that he did not fall within court’s jurisdiction, which is limited to “senior leaders” and those “most responsible” for crimes under Democratic Kampuchea.

Duch’s attorney said in March appeal hearings that even Duch  was deemed “most responsible”, his sentence should be reduced to a mere 15 years.

Such a ruling would allow for his release immediately or within three years due to time served and illegal pre-trial detention.

Prosecutors also appealed against Duch’s sentence – calling it “manifestly unjust” –  and demanded a life sentence to be commuted to 45 years in prison for the pre-trial detention. Civil parties appealed against rulings on reparations and civil-party applicants. The Supreme Court Chamber has to rule only on two major legal questions: Duch’s assertion that he is outside the court’s jurisdiction and, if they reject that claim, his sentence.

Victims have complained about the length of time the chamber has taken to deliberate on its decision.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese