Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KRT testimony marred by objections over scope



KRT testimony marred by objections over scope

Audience members follow proceedings at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia during Case 002/02 last month. ECCC
Audience members follow proceedings at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia during Case 002/02 last month. ECCC

KRT testimony marred by objections over scope

Witness Cheal Choeun’s testimony at the Khmer Rouge tribunal yesterday was peppered with interruptions and objections from the defence as judge Jean-Marc Lavergne attempted to question him about the massacre of Lon Nol soldiers in Battambang following the fall of Phnom Penh.

“I believe this witness is here to lend new evidence as to what exactly happened in aftermath of liberation in the Northwest Zone,” Nuon Chea defender Victor Koppe said, arguing that the material was outside the scope of the trial and could unfairly influence the Supreme Court Chamber’s upcoming ruling on appeals in the previous Case 002/01, which also dealt with the executions of Lon Nol soldiers.

“His evidence is relevant to the policy of targeting Lon Nol officers, which is within scope,” prosecutor Nicholas Koumjian countered, saying the witness would also testify on the regulation of marriage.

Nuon Chea and his co-defendant Khieu Samphan are both on trial for various crimes against humanity attributed to the regime they helped lead, with the court recently hearing testimony pertaining to charges of forced marriage.

When Lavergne began questioning Choeun about his experiences in the Northwest Zone, Koppe interrupted, claiming that Choeun was being asked questions intended for someone else, and that the witness had been “misidentified” – a fact the chamber should have been aware of.

“I need this to be on record,” Koppe said, explaining that Enemies of the People director Rob Lemkin sent an email to the court informing them Choeun had been misidentified in the book, which the judges had then circulated in a memo.

“It’s your memo, not mine,” he shot at Lavergne.

Lavergne briefly continued his questioning, but was interrupted by Guisse when testimony turned towards the massacre of Lon Nol soldiers.

“Events relating to soldiers immediately after evacuation are not within the scope of this case,” she objected.

Still, Lavergne pressed on. The witness described being told to “accompany” a group of Lon Nol soldiers to “receive and welcome” King Sihanouk following the fall of Phnom Penh in April 1975. Instead, the defeated soldiers were all massacred.

“I did not know the plan was to gather the soldiers and commit such things against them,” Choeun said, testifying that 50 soldiers were taken by truck from Battambang to the countryside where they were all shot.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year