Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Labour firm staff sentenced

Labour firm staff sentenced

Labour firm staff sentenced

120501_03

The director and employees of a maid recruitment agency were handed sentences of up to five years by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday and ordered to pay compensation for illegally detaining an under-aged girl.

{jathumbnail}

Presiding judge Duch Kimsorn said Century Manpower’s director Oung Sakirin, chief of administration Sao Syneng, 27, and marketing manager Ngeth Sotheara, 28, were sentenced to three years for illegal detention. Broker Cheab Vannaraen, 27, was sentenced to five years for unlawful removal with purpose, he added.

The court also ordered them to jointly pay US$2,000 compensation to the 14-year-old victim, Tak Thon.

Chum Chanika, military police officer at the office of anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection in Phnom Penh, said the group was arrested in October after Tak Thon’s mother complained.

Tak Thon previously testified that she had been locked with a dozen other girls at the company’s training centre in Phnom Penh and prevented from leaving when she changed her mind about going to Malaysia.

The company had also attempted to apply for a passport for her under a fake name and date of birth since she was under-age, she said.

When the attempts had failed, she was brought to apply as a maid at another company but had not been accepted because of her age.

She then worked for Cheab Vannaraen’’s mother as a cleaner for four days, before escaping to meet up with her mother.

Nuon Phanith, Tak Thon’s lawyer, applauded the verdict but questioned why the court had not issued an arrest warrant for Oung Sakirin, who was sentenced in absentia.

“I think that the court’s punishment against these people ... is justice for my client. But I was not pleased that the court has not issued a warrant to arrest the company’s director to bring him to serve his jail term,” he told the Post.

Ya Nayuth, executive director of migrant workers NGO CARAM, said many recruitment agencies were being sued by their workers but such cases were mostly still being processed.

To contact the reporter on this story: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Bun Heang mocks US, threatens its citizens in scathing open letter

    After being hit with sanctions from the US Department of Treasury, Cambodian General Hing Bun Heang said he would retaliate against any US national who does not respect his country’s sovereignty, has ambitions to invade Cambodia or incites “traitors” in the Kingdom to do

  • Police warn boycott FB group involved in the “Clean Fingers Campaign”

    Police said on Tuesday that they will pick up members of a Facebook group involved in the “Clean Fingers Campaign” that promotes a boycott of next month’s national elections. However, police merely planned to “educate” the group for now, but warned that if the

  • Ranariddh 'seriously injured', his wife dies in accident in Preah Sihanouk

    THE wife of former first prime minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh has died. Ouk Phalla succumbed to injuries sustained in a traffic accident on National Road 4 in Preah Sihanouk’s Prey Nub district this morning. She and the prince were immediately rushed to the Preah Sihanouk