Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Labour ministry says will extend subsidies for suspended workers

Labour ministry says will extend subsidies for suspended workers

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
There have been 43 factory closures, affecting 14,578 workers. Hong Menea

Labour ministry says will extend subsidies for suspended workers

The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training announced new payments to be made to workers in the garment and tourist sectors who had been laid off due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The latest subsidies will be the 44th round of payments which have totalled over $20 million in aggregate.

The ministry said disbursements would be made to 4,838 workers of 28 factories and other enterprises in the targeted sectors. The businesses had received permission to suspend the workers’ contracts under the Labour Law.

Recipients would be notified by text messages from Wing (Cambodia) Limited Specialised Bank, and they would have 10 days to collect payment. Unclaimed benefits would be returned to the government

In his public address on December 29, Prime Minister Hun Sen cited a report from labour minister Ith Sam Heng which noted there were currently 43 factory closures, affecting 14,578 workers.

“Since the beginning of the programme, the government has provided 83 billion riel to 329,091 factory employees who have been suspended from their work,” he said.

Hun Sen noted that some businesses had closed briefly before reopening. The government would continue to support workers whose contracts were suspended.

“We must continue to provide payments to laid-off workers. The government has the resources to assist these people,” he said.

The government decided to extend support payments for the first three months of the new year for suspended workers in the garment, textile, footwear and handbag industries, providing $40 per month. Employers are obliged to provide an additional $30, bringing the total monthly subsidy to $70.

Separately, the Ministry of Health said on December 30 that a 37-year-old Cambodian man from Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district had recovered from Covid-19. He had been infected after visiting a Zando fashion store on the evening of November 28.

As of December 30, Cambodia had recorded a total of 364 Covid-19 cases with 361 recoveries. Of the three patients remaining hospitalised, one is an imported case and two are linked to the November 28 community incident – a reference to the first confirmed case of local transmission.

The government announced an official conclusion of the November 28 event on December 29.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four