Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lake eviction fears remain

Lake eviction fears remain

Lake eviction fears remain

RESIDENTS from at least five villages around Boeung Trabek lake in Chamkarmon district remain concerned about their future living situation, although an eviction deadline passed without incident on Monday.

District governor Lo Yuy issued a letter on September 17, ordering 500 families to dismantle their homes and leave the lakeside’s Phsar Doeum Thkov commune by Monday.

“If they don’t move away by the deadline, the authorities will take measures through the law, and we won’t be responsible for any destruction or loss of their property,” the letter stated.

But community representative Suos Samy said the deadline had passed without any reported incidents.

“Even though the deadline has passed, we are still concerned because we do not know when the authorities will take measures against us,” he said.

Authorities say that residents need to leave the area so that drainage can be improved to ease the threat of flooding.

Resident Khiev Sinoeun said that no compensation had been offered despite claims by many residents that they had lived in their homes for over 10 years.

“I am very concerned because the authorities plan to renovate the drainage ditch where we reside at the lake,” he said.

Naeb Ly, a community empowerment officer for the Housing Rights Task Force, said the authorities should “pay reasonable compensation, so families will be able to afford suitable replacement houses and look for jobs before they move”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Two French tourists latest Covid-19 cases in Kingdom

    The Kingdom on Saturday saw two more cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the total to 53. While the majority of the previous cases are linked to a Muslim religious gathering in Malaysia, the latest cases involved two French tourists visiting Sihanoukville. The Ministry of Health said

  • Kingdom’s virus toll tops 84, Cambodians in Thailand rush home

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and its highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • CEO held for fraud in Siem Reap

    Over 200 individuals gathered in front of the Siem Reap Provincial Court last week to ask that Dim Suonnath, the CEO of a real estate company being held for fraud, take responsibility for compensating some 2,000 residents who invested with him. The request was denied. Suonnath responded

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for