Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lakesiders threaten China boycott

Lakesiders threaten China boycott

Lakesiders threaten China boycott

Villagers from the embattled Boeung Kak lakeside community threatened yesterday to boycott Chinese products if a Chinese firm reportedly involved in the development project set to displace thousands of lakeside residents does not send a representative to negotiate compensation.

During a gathering yesterday at the capital’s “Freedom Park” in Daun Penh district, roughly 200 Boeung Kak residents called for talks with Inner Mongolia Erdos Hung Jun Investment Co, a firm that Chinese-language news reports cite as a joint venture partner in the Boeung Kak lake development, along with Cambodian companies linked to ruling party senator Lao Meng Khin.

“We will stop using Chinese products if the Chinese company does not send a representative to negotiate with us,” community representative Ly Mom said yesterday, as villagers displayed Chinese flags amid their protest signs.

The Chinese reports reveal that Hung Jun’s lake development agreement was signed in July and involves both Shukaku Inc – which is owned by Lao Meng Khin – and the Cambodia International Investment Development Group.

The latter firm also appears to be linked to the senator. According to an undated government investment publication available online, the firm runs a special economic zone in Sihanoukville with Lao Meng Khin listed as the “zone developer”.

In September, Hung Jun representatives travelled to Phnom Penh for a meeting with the Prime Minister that was also attended by Choeung Sopheap, the wife of Lao Meng Khin and head of local conglomerate Pheapimex.

The lake development was reportedly part of a US$3 billion package of investment deals that also included a 750-megawatt power station in Sihanoukville and exploration for bauxite in Mondulkiri province.

The 133-hectare Boeung Kak lake development will ultimately displace more than 4,000 families, rights groups say.

The spokesman at the Chinese embassy Qian Hai denied yesterday that a Chinese firm was involved in the Boeung Kak development.

“From what I know, at this stage, no Chinese company is taking part in this project,” Qian Hai said.

He also dismissed Chinese media reports linking Hung Jun to the lakeside project.

“I don’t think you should publish this sentence in the newspaper – you just write what I told you,” he said. ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY JAMES O’TOOLE

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong