Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Land disputes in Siem Reap

Land disputes in Siem Reap

Land disputes in Siem Reap

More than 1,000 families from four districts in Siem Reap province involved in ongoing land disputes released a joint statement on Friday asking for intervention from government officials. 

Villagers involved in six separate land disputes with various private companies in four districts claim a total of 3,138 hectares of land has been taken from them since 2003, according to the statement.

It calls on national government officials to urge provincial authorities to return the land, and urges authorities to stop jailing villagers who attempt to enter land they claim to own.

Tok Pounleuk, a villager from Chi Kraeng district where 175 families claim to have been stripped of 475 hectares of land, said the villagers released the joint statement to inform government leaders that there is solidarity among communities involved in land disputes across the province.

“We lost the land together and we have the same problem, so we have to approach the situation together,” he said.

Banteay Srei villager Keo Sophy said 90 families in her community had been affected after 183 hectares of land was taken from them in 2003.

Keo Sophy said the land had yet to be returned and provincial authorities had been unwilling to intervene.

“We have been waiting for so long. We have decided to issue this joint statement to alert the government officials about the problem, otherwise we will remain cheated,” she said.

On August 26, Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that economic land concessions would be withdrawn if the companies they were granted to failed to solve land disputes with villagers who had lived in their concession area for “a long time”.

Am Sam Ath, senior investigator for rights group Licadho, said the villagers had been dealing with the effects of the land dispute for a long time but provincial authorities had failed to help them.

“We are worried about those who have lost their land . . .  they become poorer from one day to the next,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • Sam Rainsy, government group set to clash at IPU Geneva meet?

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy has been invited to speak at the General Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in Geneva, according to a former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) lawmaker. A government delegation is also set to attend the meeting, a National Assembly press release