Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Landmine casualties down for 2012

Landmine casualties down for 2012

Landmine casualties down for 2012

A downward trend in landmine casualties has continued in Cambodia, data released yesterday by the Cambodian Mine Victims Information System shows.

In a statistics report released yesterday, CMVIS details landmine removal and deaths related to unexploded ordnances this year. According to the report, 25 people were killed, down 7 per cent from the same period last year. 

In the first seven months of this year there were 114 casualties.

“According to the statistics we’ve been seeing there has been a downward trend for years in landmine casualties,” Clare O’Reilly, program officer at Mines Advisory Group, said.

“A lot of the kind of accidents we’ve been hearing about are farmers and agricultural communities; people newly clearing areas with heavy machinery are the victims we’ve seen recently,” she said.

Casualty figures showed an annual downward trend from 2007-2009 and while 2010 spiked slightly, the 286 recorded casualties that year are nowhere near peak casualty years in the ’90s, such as in 1996 when 4,320 were reported.

A total of 19,644 people have been killed from landmine explosions since 1979 or the end of Khmer Rouge rule in Cambodia.

To contact the reporter on this story: Rachel Will at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,