Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Laos only ‘surveying’ Xayaburi

Laos only ‘surveying’ Xayaburi

Laos only ‘surveying’ Xayaburi

120709_03

Equipment parked near the construction site of a controversial dam that is under construction in Laos’s Xayaburi province earlier this year. Photograph: International Rivers

Laos has denied it is pushing forward with the controversial Xayaburi hydropower dam in violation of international legal obligations, the country’s state media reported on Friday.

Conservation groups have said photos and interviews with villagers clearly demonstrate that Thai firm Ch.Karnchang Public Company Ltd is engaged in much more than “preparatory” works as Laos has claimed.

Laos Deputy Minister of Energy and Mines Viraphonh Viravong told the Vientiane Times daily that only “sub-surface surveying” had commenced on the project, not dredging of the river bank as claimed by the group International Rivers.

“We plan to invite development partners and Mekong River Commission member countries to visit the project site so they can see the actual development for themselves,” he said.

Te Navuth, secretary-general of the Cambodian National Mekong Committee, said it was plain to see the company had begun work that went beyond exploration, including dredging.

“I don’t want to argue about this; they always say something else, but we can see,” he said.

Navuth said Laos should join a study on the downstream impact dams on the mainstream Mekong river that Cambodia and Vietnam agreed to conduct in a Memorandum of Understanding signed on Tuesday.

The governments agreed to a large-scale study of the impact upstream dams have on the lower Mekong river basin, including the Tonle Sap river system and the Mekong Delta.

Ame Trandem, Southeast Asia program director of International Rivers, said the study would take three years and could not save the Mekong from serious damage if construction on the Xayaburi continued.

“What needs to happen now is that Thailand and their company Ch.Karnchang ... need to agree with the government of Laos to stop construction of the Xayaburi,” she said.

Under a 1995 agreement with Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand, Laos was obligated to not begin construction without a prior notification and prior consultation agreement between the four countries, which has not been completed.

“If Laos decides to go ahead with Xayaburi, it would be violating this agreement and thereby violating international law,” she said.

To contact the reporter on this story: David Boyle
With assistance from Reuters

MOST VIEWED

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • ‘Dire consequences’ from sanctions, warns AmCham

    American businesspeople in Cambodia have warned that any sanction against the Kingdom would have “dire consequences” that could push Cambodia even further into the arms of China. In a letter to US senators and representatives dated Monday, the American Chamber of Commerce Cambodia (AmCham) said

  • CPP: ‘Behave or Sokha suffers’

    The ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) spokesman warned Kem Monovithya on Thursday that her attempt to damage “national reputation and prestige” would lead to her father, Kem Sokha, receiving even harsher punishment. Sok Eysan issued the warning as Monovithya, who is the court dissolved

  • Preah Sihanouk beach developments halted

    After receiving an order from Hun Sen, Minister of Land Management Chea Sophara led a team of experts and relevant officials to Sihanoukville to call a halt to the illegal development of a beach. The prime minister ordered the Prek Treng beach in Otres commune