Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Large haul of drugs set on fire

Large haul of drugs set on fire

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
More than two tonnes of seized illicit drugs were set on fire on Wednesday. Hong Menea

Large haul of drugs set on fire

More than two tonnes of seized illicit drugs were set on fire on Wednesday, with Minister of Interior Sar Kheng warning at the ceremony that action would be taken against officials involved in the trade.

A National Authority for Combating Drugs report showed that the drugs were seized over a span of more than two years from June 2017 to June this year.

Among the haul were heroin, methamphetamine, amphetamine, ecstasy, ketamine and nimetazepam. It was recently ruled that the haul would be destroyed at Wednesday’s drug burning ceremony at Koh Pich Theatre in Phnom Penh.

At the ceremony, held to mark the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, Sar Kheng said that although a large-scale crackdown on drugs was ongoing in the Kingdom, he remained concerned about the issue.

He said the authorities were fighting regional syndicates smuggling drugs through Cambodia.

“Some nefarious persons continue to traffic drugs, using all means and tricks, to make Cambodian people suffer by becoming drug users, distributors and dealers,” he said.

Recent months have seen raids on rented houses, guesthouses and a number of high-profile entertainment venues. Sar Kheng encouraged the authorities to increase their efforts on this front and warned officials complicit in the trade that they would face the full force of the law.

“If our officials are involved [in the drug trade], it will make the drug raids unsuccessful. Or even if they are not involved directly, but serve as towers of strength to drugs dealers, that will cause our efforts to fail,” he said.

Sar Kheng also gave an interview to reporters at the event after his speech, saying: “If there is police involvement [in drugs], legal measures are to be taken.

“As I said earlier, an official from the Rock Entertainment Centre went into hiding for more than a month in Battambang province. We have just arrested him.”

However, Sar Kheng declined to comment about the recent drug raid on the Luxurious nightclub earlier this month, referring questions to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court as the case is ongoing.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court Deputy Prosecutor Kuch Kimlong could not be reached for comment.

On the night of June 8, more than 400 people were detained at Phnom Penh’s Luxurious nightclub over drugs offences. At least 20 suspects were sent to court and convicted on drugs charges, while the club’s owner is yet to be identified.

The director of the Drug Addict Relief Association of Cambodia, Meas Sovann, said setting drugs on fire was a positive thing. He said raids, like those conducted on The Rock Entertainment Centre and Luxurious nightclub, would likely reduce the number of drug ringleaders.

“Raids have gradually been conducted and if there are direct orders like this, it could somewhat decrease the number of dealers and distributors,” he said.

Prey Veng provincial police statistics this month show that in June alone, the province conducted eight drugs raids, detained 51 suspects on drugs charges and seized nearly 50 packets of drugs, as well as drug paraphernalia.

“There are five pending cases of keeping, transporting or dealing illegal substances, with 10 suspects [including two women]. There are also three pending cases of illegal drug use with 41 suspects detained, of whom three are women,” provincial deputy police chief Thong Vandy said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • Cellcard announces Cambodia’s first use of 5G to help Kingdom during Covid-19

    Cellcard on Friday announced Cambodia’s first use of 5G for a telemedicine service at four locations across Phnom Penh to help the Kingdom’s most critically ill during the Covid-19 outbreak. Cellcard, which is the only 100 per cent Cambodian-owned and "Proudly Khmer" mobile network

  • Former CNRP activist nabbed for offering online English classes

    Authorities detained a high school teacher in Kampong Chhnang province on Thursday after he was caught conducting online classes despite the fact that schools had been ordered to close temporarily to prevent Covid-19 infections. Keo Thai teaches at Boribo High School in Kampong Chhnang and

  • Health ministry warns against using virus-testing machines

    The Ministry of Health has threatened legal action against anyone who publicised their test results after using COVID-19 rapid testing machines. The ministry said such machines were not even approved or recognised for use by the World Health Organisation (WHO). It said test the results

  • National Assembly approves two coal-fired power plants

    The National Assembly (NA) unanimously approved draft laws paving the way for the construction of two coal-fired power plants worth $1.665 billion to supply 100 per cent of electricity required in the Kingdom by 2025. An NA member said at the session that the plants will be located

  • The good and bad of credit growth

    In the last 10 years, the property and construction sectors have propelled Cambodia’s economy. But rising borrowings threaten to dampen its future unless something is done soon They say all good things must come to an end, perhaps not “the” end. A slowdown in real