A lawyer representing three of the 23 people arrested during garment strike clashes on January 2 and 3 hopes the capital’s court will drop charges against her clients when it hears their case on April 18, she said yesterday.
San Sokunthear, a lawyer from human-rights group Licadho representing three of the accused, said she had been told that on April 18, Phnom Penh Municipal Court will hear the case of 13 people arrested during the deadly Veng Sreng Boulevard shootings of January 3.
“I strongly hope the court will drop the charges,” she said.
But Sokunthear had not heard when the court will hear the case of the 10 arrested outside the Yakjin factory elsewhere in the capital on January 2. All but two of the 23 remain locked in prison in Kampong Cham province. They face charges of causing intentional violence and intentionally damaging property.
Security forces shot dead at least four people on January 3.