Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Letter: Forestry deja vu



Letter: Forestry deja vu

Letter: Forestry deja vu

Dear Editor,

Reading Stephen O'Connell's "Forestry management total failure" I couldn't

help but feel a sense of peripheral deja vu.

It was in the Summer of 1996 that I found myself at the Government Palace attending

a pre-Consultative Group meeting in which the then Minister of Agriculture, Forestry

and Fisheries, Tao Seng Huor, was asked by international donors to produce a final

and complete list of logging concession companies (the reporting for which a deadline

had been set by the Ministry the previous week). A report by the World Bank on this

matter had outlined sustainable logging policies which showed that Cambodia could

in fact garner substantial revenues from the sector, with appropriate forestry management.

In what can only be described as a moment that will live in infamy, the Minister

showed up to the meeting without the list. After throwing around some vague figures

and ranges, he was embarrassed (really shamed) by his counterpart at the Ministry

of Economy and Finance and by then Secretary of State Sun Chanthol into calling (cellular

phone in hand and while sitting at the table) an aide who, 20 you-could-have-heard-a-bead-of-sweat-drop

minutes later, arrived and produced the list. An incredible climax (the real numbers

were nowhere near the original ones he gave), it was a severe loss of face for the

Minister and for every Cambodian in that room, including myself.

How disappointing, and yet somehow fitting, it should be that four years later, Cambodia's

forestry management remains a "total failure". As the French say: Plus

ca change, plus c'est la meme chose. Let's just hope that by 2004 we'll still have

some forests left to manage (or should I say, mismanage?).

Sophal Ear, Washington, DC

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman