Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Letter on Vietnam border ELCs reaches PM



Letter on Vietnam border ELCs reaches PM

Rama Khmer clear land inside a Ratanakkiri ELC owned by the Vietnamese military and Cambodian investors in 2013. Adhoc
Rama Khmer clear land inside a Ratanakkiri ELC owned by the Vietnamese military and Cambodian investors in 2013. Adhoc

Letter on Vietnam border ELCs reaches PM

A letter demanding answers from Prime Minister Hun Sen as to how 40,000 hectares in Ratanakkiri allegedly came under the control of the Vietnamese army has been forwarded to the premier by National Assembly President Heng Samrin, a month after he blocked a similar letter as “groundless” and “context for propaganda”.

The letter, penned by opposition lawmaker Um Sam An, asked why the Vietnamese army received control of the economic land concessions, questioned if foreign armies were based there, and asked if the government planned to confiscate the land.

The letter, obtained by the Post yesterday, was sent on March 4 and forwarded to the prime minister on Wednesday.

From the US, Um Sam An yesterday told the Post if the land concessions were not reclaimed, the territory would be lost to the Vietnamese in the same way as Kampuchea Krom.

“When the Yuon live [there] how can [we] deport them back?” he said via Facebook, using a term for Vietnamese considered derogatory by some. “Granting economic land concessions to Vietnamese armies is seriously dangerous for the nation.”

Earlier this year, Ratanakkiri agriculture department director Soy Sona said that the four concessions – owned by Rama Khmer, Chea Chanrith, Veasna Investment and Dai Dong Duong – had been cut to a tenth of their size in late 2015.

But Chhay Thy, provincial coordinator for Adhoc, yesterday said that while the human rights group believed there was currently no army presence, the contracts should be canceled nonetheless.

“We are concerned that the companies are closer to the border. The government should cancel . . . [the] companies’ contracts,” Chhay Thy said.

Spokespeople for the ministries of agriculture and environment could not be reached.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting