Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lightning strikes death toll continues to rise



Lightning strikes death toll continues to rise

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Lightning strikes death toll continues to rise

The spokesman for the National Committee for Disaster Management (NCDM) said that through Sunday, lightning has caused over 90 casualties, including more than 50 deaths, while storms have damaged or destroyed more than 2,000 residences and killed roughly 50 head of cattle, as the rainy season began with a fury.

On Thursday, five people, including a 4-year-old, were killed instantly in a lightning strike in Koh Kong, according to AFP. And on Sunday afternoon in Sreung commune in Kampong Thom province’s Brasat Sambo district, three people were injured after lightning struck a tree, according to Chab Pun, the commune’s chief of police.

NCDM spokesman Keo Vy said on Sunday that lightning has already killed 51 people – up from 41 in the same period last year – injured 40 others and killed 53 cows and buffalo. Meanwhile storms have been responsible for at least two additional deaths and 25 injuries. Storms have also damaged 1,648 homes and destroyed 394 others. Schools, commune halls, hospitals and police stations around the country have also experienced damage.

“When it rains, and the storm comes and lightning is present, it is dangerous and puts people’s lives in danger; but farmers living in rural areas are happy to work when it rains, and this is a point of concern,” Vy said.

Pun told The Post on Sunday that at 4:40pm, lightning struck a coconut tree and hurt three people under their house near the tree. They fainted and were sent to hospital.

Vy said the government had conducted lightning-education seminars to warn people to avoid sheltering under trees and standing in water, According the AFP.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could