Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Local man sentenced for abusing three boys

Local man sentenced for abusing three boys

Local man sentenced for abusing three boys

A CAMBODIAN man has been sentenced to three years in prison after he confessed to sexually abusing three underage boys. Human rights advocates believe it is the first time this year Phnom Penh courts have punished a Cambodian man accused of sex crimes against children.

Phong Thanakorn, 47, was sentenced to a maximum three years in prison, fined 3 million riels (US$718) and ordered to pay two of his victims 3 million riels each, Phnom Penh Municipal Court Judge Din Sivuthy said.

Phong Thanakorn had been charged with committing indecent acts against the boys, ages 14 and 15. He was arrested in April after complaints from the victims’ parents.

A lawyer acting for the victims said she welcomed the verdict but questioned why only two of the boys received compensation. A third boy has since died of unknown causes, said lawyer Peng Maneth.

Still, she said, the rare conviction sends a message to local child abusers. “We want to show the public that our organisation not only works on paedophile cases involving foreigners, but on cases against Cambodian men as well,” said Peng Maneth, of the child welfare NGO Action Pour Les Enfants (APLE).

Phong Thanakorn is the only Cambodian who has been convicted of child sex crimes in the past two years, according to statistics compiled by APLE.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,