Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Logging deals cancelled

Logging deals cancelled

Logging deals cancelled

Six economic land concessionaires in Preah Vihear and Oddar Meanchey provinces have had their contracts to supply the government with wood to build housing for soldiers and their families cancelled.

In 2011, after the conflict with Thailand over the Preah Vihear temple, the government encouraged the families of soldiers to settle in the two provinces, and it has since allocated land to them under its social land concession scheme.

The six politically connected plantation firms – Best Royal (K) Co, Ltd; Huot Meng Vita Co, Ltd; Nature Plantation (KH) Co, Ltd; Sok Samnang Development; Tay Ninh Siem Reap Aphivath Caoutchouch Co, Ltd; and Tumring Rubber Co – were issued 65,065 hectares of concessions in 2011 and 2012 in the Kulen Prom-Tep Wildlife Sanctuary and contracted to provide timber to the authorities.

But in a letter signed by Minister of Environment Say Sam Al on August 28, the order was given to end the arrangement.

“Now the [housing] projects have … been completed, so your supplies will be stopped from now on,” he said in the letter.

The order followed a letter on August 6 from Chea Sophara, the minister of rural development, requesting Sam Al end the contract.

Monitoring groups say they have found evidence that the companies logged illegally. But Sophara said none of the wood used to build the 200 houses for the families of soldiers and police had been sourced illegally.

“The timber we bought is grade two, which was near the villages and not from anywhere far away,” he said.

Ouch Leng, director of the Human Rights Task Force, said the cancellation of the contracts showed the government did not know how to manage the forests. “The ministries issued letters to show that the two ministries did not know how to manage their own natural resources, allowing the private companies to log their own forest and then becoming buyers from them instead.”

In October last year, rights group Adhoc reported that at least 1,000 families in 14 provinces had suffered from land grabs by military officers to construct accommodation.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not