Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Logs seized after crash in Tbong Khmum



Logs seized after crash in Tbong Khmum

Two vehicles sit on the side of the road in Tbong Khmum last week after an accident that injured four. The van was allegedly carrying a dozen pieces of luxury timber. Photo supplied
Two vehicles sit on the side of the road in Tbong Khmum last week after an accident that injured four. The van was allegedly carrying a dozen pieces of luxury timber. Photo supplied

Logs seized after crash in Tbong Khmum

Police seized a van carrying a dozen pieces of high-grade luxury timber in Tbong Khmum province last weekend after the car was apparently involved in a chase that ended in a multi-vehicle traffic accident, according to local authorities.

Thanh Sovath, Memot district deputy police chief, said the van collided with another car and a parked motorbike on National Road 7 on Thursday afternoon, injuring four people.

“After the accident, even though the driver [of the van] and another passenger were injured, they did not wait for medical treatment and escaped,” he added.

Sovath also said that, according to villagers, the van was being chased by another car when the accident happened.

Provincial police chief Mao Pov took to Facebook to offer condolences, saying he felt “sorry about traffic accident on 22 September that was caused by a van carrying luxury wood”.

In a separate incident, more than 1,800 cubic metres of luxury timber was confiscated near the Sre Pok Wildlife Sanctuary last week, according to a Mondulkiri provincial environmental officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity, adding that authorities had filed a report on the seizure.

“We have made a report to the court and we have a suspect [in mind],” the official said. “This was a huge crime and they have to be held responsible for this, and the court will take action against them.”

However, So Sovichea, Mondulkiri Provincial Court spokesman, said the court had yet to receive the report.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where