Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lon Nol-era artillery cache uncovered



Lon Nol-era artillery cache uncovered

Lon Nol-era artillery cache uncovered

SIEM REAP - Not long before provincial governor Toan Chay was adding to political

fireworks in Phnom Penh, workers building him a new office were lucky to avoid more

deadly detonations.

They last month stumbled upon thousands of unexploded shells underneath the construction

site.

The find came when a construction crew started converting an old government meeting

house into an office building for the provincial governor of Siem Reap. While reccently

rehabilitating the grounds, a local resident informed the construction crew that

Lon Nol troops used to fire heavy artillery at the Khmer Rouge from this area. Given

the scale of the operation back in the 1970's, he believed there might have been

a few unused munitions left behind.

A French development agency, CIDEV, was alerted and its deminers have been uncovering

thousands of unexploded shells in the area to secure the grounds for future construction.

CIDEV de-miners believe that during the troop retreat by Lon Nol government forces,

they military hastily buried the shells and munitions in order to hide the explosives

from the Khmer Rouge.

After Lon Nol troops evacuated the area, it was abandoned for many years, but was

later used during the UNTAC period as a hospital, storage area and radio depot.

Jean Pierre Billault, Siem Reap regional director of CIDEV, said it was extraordinary

that, given the level of activity above ground, none of the shells or munitions exploded

during UNTAC's stay on the site.

"If [UNTAC] only knew about the hell that they were living on top of at that

time," he said. "There was an enormous storage warehouse and there were

many heavy vehicles moving around applying great pressure on the ground. If there

had been any kind of fire, especially caused by gasoline,-there would have surely

been an explosion."

CIDEV has so far found roughly 1,500 US-made artillery shells and other munitions.

Billault said CIDEV uncovers an average of 150 munitions a day.

Billault said his greatest concern is that children might play in potentially dangerous

areas of the grounds at night.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and