Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lorries to be banned from capital’s Hun Sen Boulevard



Lorries to be banned from capital’s Hun Sen Boulevard

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The municipal hall says some lorries transport sand on the road and caused frequent accidents. Hean Rangsey

Lorries to be banned from capital’s Hun Sen Boulevard

The Phnom Penh Municipal Hall will temporarily suspend lorries from travelling along Hun Sen Boulevard, also known as Boulevard 60m, after it discovered they had transported sand on the road and caused frequent traffic accidents resulting in deaths and injuries.

Municipal Hall spokesperson Met Meas Pheakdey told The Post on Tuesday that the measure had been raised at a recent working group meeting led by municipal governor Khuong Sreng.

Meas Pheakdey said speeding was also a factor when the administration chose to implement the measure.

“We took the measure because we saw shortfalls in lorry drivers who drive for companies. We cannot blame the companies themselves, saying they are wrong.

“Drivers drive fast without care and attention and they tend to cause dangerous situations. So, we have to do something to prevent these problems and create order in our transportation,” he said.

Meas Pheakdey said lorries transporting soil and sand along the road disregarded guidance from the municipal hall. The lorries were often not properly covered, thereby causing soil and mud to scatter on the road, endangering others.

Meanchey district deputy governor Dy Roth Khemrun told The Post on Tuesday that only lorries transporting soil and sand will be suspended, but cars can continue using the road. The measure will be effective from August.

He said: “Lorries are suspended from travelling along Boulevard 60m. Lorry drivers will be given one month to phase out of using lorries and set up a network of pumping stations and underground pipelines.

“We gave them one month because we believe that these development companies will be able to do that.”

District police chief Meng Vimeandara told The Post on Tuesday that over the past five years, traffic accidents along Hun Sen Boulevard resulted in five deaths, seven serious injuries and two minor ones. Most of the accidents had been caused by lorries.

Vimeandara said: “If this work can be done, it will be very good because we know a great many lorry [drivers] transport soil and sand in the developing area during the rainy months.

“Soil and sand flow out in the rain and they become a factor for traffic accidents. If the senior leadership thinks it’s a problem that can be solved, then it is good because drivers tend to drive fast on this big road.”

Watch video:

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said