Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lower Sesan 2’s power not worth a dam: NGO

Lower Sesan 2’s power not worth a dam: NGO

Lower Sesan 2’s power not worth a dam: NGO

120831_04

People navigate a boat down the Sesan River, past Kbal Romea commune, in Stung Treng province’s Sesan district last year. Photograph: Adam Miller/Phnom Penh Post

While the humanitarian objections to Mondulkiri’s proposed Lower Sesan 2 hydropower dam project are well documented, a report from conservation NGO International Rivers yesterday highlighted an objection of another sort: the Lower Sesan wouldn’t be a very good location for a dam in the first place.

According to the report, which compiled information from the Asian Development Bank (ADB), environmental assessments and local media reports, the Lower Sesan is a poor place for such a project from a logistical standpoint, and the dam would rank among the least efficient in terms of megawatts (MW) of power produced versus land lost to flooding.

“If the project generates more than 10 MW per square kilometre of reservoir, the performance is considered good, 5-10 MW is moderate, and below 5 MW the project ‘needs to be carefully assessed’,” the report reads, citing a technical paper from the ADB. “The Lower Sesan 2 receives a score of only 1.1 MW [per square kilometer] of reservoir.”

The report said that the Lower Sesan is heavily dammed above the proposed site, and even dams upstream are struggling to get enough water to operate at full capacity – due in part to more dams even farther upstream.  

In the dry season, the 400 MW dam would only be able to operate at one-quarter of its capacity.

According to SRP lawmaker Son Chhay, who has long opposed the dam, not only is the project economically unfeasible, its proposed output is still a matter of debate.

“It’s exaggerated,” he said.

Chhay also questioned the prospect of selling half of the dam’s output to Vietnam, which currently imports electricity to Cambodia.  

Right now, Vietnam imports 135 MW of power per day to Phnom Penh alone, according to Electricite du Cambodge.

To contact the reporter on this story: Stuart White at [email protected]
With assistance from Chhay Channyda

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh