Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Maids’ families seek answers

Maids’ families seek answers

Maids’ families seek answers

The families of six maids from Kampong Chhnang province who left to work in Malaysia have filed complaints with human rights group Adhoc after losing contact with the women for more than two years, rights workers said yesterday.

Soum Chankea, Adhoc’s provincial co-ordinator, said the complaints had been filed since Monday.

Five of the women were supposed to have finished their contracts by now, but families remain without news of them, while one mother said her daughter had called her claiming that her employers were abusing her.

“We still are worried, because day to day, we get complaints over missing maids in Malaysia. And most of the companies which sent them, they are closed. They [companies] do not have responsibility,” he said.

At least three of the missing maids had been recruited by T&P Co Ltd, which had its licence suspended last year and an arrest warrant issued for its company director when it was revealed it was recruiting under-aged girls.

Khon La, 40, said her daughter Nam Soksey, 23, had been sent by T&P Co Ltd to Malaysia in 2010, but since that time, had not called her family or sent money back.

“For more than two years, I have not got information from my daughter, not even one call. I am a mother, I worry deeply about whether she is fine or not, safe or not. I don’t sleep well every day,” she said.

Preah Vihear provincial Adhoc co-ordinator Lor Chan said a complaint over a missing maid in Malaysia had also been filed there yesterday by the maid’s mother.

Prime Minister Hun Sen imposed a ban on sending maids to Malaysia in October when a rash of abuses surfaced there.

However, rights groups have criticised the move as leaving maids already working there in the cold. Adhoc recorded 102 complaints of maid abuse in 2011.

An Bunhak, president of the Association of Cambodian Recruitment Agencies, previously told the Post that the association and the Labour Ministry had been tasked with monitoring maids whose agencies had closed.

To contact the reporter on this story: Sen David at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman