Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Malaysia bodies refute abuse claims

Malaysia bodies refute abuse claims

Malaysia bodies refute abuse claims

An inspection by the Malaysian Enforcement Agencies Integrity Commission (EAIC) and Human Rights Commission (Suhakam) has found allegations that migrant workers – Cambodians among them – were killed in detention to be “false and without basis”, according to local media reports.

Representatives of EAIC, a government watchdog, and Suhakam were unreachable for comment yesterday but they are reported to have carried out a “spot-check” at the Juru detention centre, where a recently repatriated Cambodian migrant worker told NGO Central she witnessed guards beating and torturing several detainees to death. Following the inspection, an official statement was released rubbishing the Cambodian returnee’s claims.

“The allegations of detainee deaths from physical abuse as reported are false and without basis,” EAIC chairperson Yaacob Md Sam is quoted as saying in the statement, which also alleges the centre is overcrowded, structurally unsafe and has been without functioning CCTV since 2014.

However, executive director of Central Moeun Tola said yesterday that he was not convinced by the inspection’s findings.

“The Malaysian government claims there is no torture, no Cambodian maids in Juru. But it’s not transparent, the other NGOs are not allowed to investigate, so how can we believe that investigation?” Tola said, adding that more ex-detainees have come forward since the original accusation was made.

Human Rights Watch deputy Asia director Phil Robertson said in an email yesterday that investigators should have spoken to the women alleging the abuse took place. “Only when all sides have been heard can the investigation really be said to be final and comprehensive,” Robertson said.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Chum Sounry did not respond to requests for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not