Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Malaysian killed in Bavet

Malaysian killed in Bavet

Malaysian killed in Bavet

Bavet town police arrested a man on Tuesday on suspicion of murder after the body of a Malaysian man was found dead in a night market bathroom in the early hours of Monday.

The body of 63-year-old Carsen Tion Kai Seng displayed severe injuries, leading to suspicions of homicide, a police official in Svay Rieng province’s Bavet Town said.

Bavet’s police chief, Keo Kong, told The Post that the Malaysian entered Cambodia via the Bavet-Moc Bai border with Vietnam on June 2. He was found dead at 2:32am on Monday in the night market bathroom with serious injuries on his head and eyes.

Kong said an autopsy revealed a 10cm-by-6cm wound on the head and a 6cm-by-3cm bruise around the left eye, suggesting the victim had been struck and slashed with a sharp object.

“An autopsy led the authorities to conclude that the victim’s death was the result of murder, and an investigation was immediately launched,” Kong said.

Meanwhile, Bavet Town Deputy Military Police Commander Ouk Sisen said a joint-operation launched by his officers and Bavet police ended in the arrest of a suspect who is believed to have killed Tion. The suspect was sent for interrogation.

“We have arrested a man on the suspicion of committing the murder, and he was sent to the provincial Military Police command base for interrogation,” said Sisen.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials