Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Malaysian ‘scammer’ released

Malaysian ‘scammer’ released

Malaysian ‘scammer’ released

A Malaysian national accused of scamming Cambodians out of some $300,000 was released from police custody on Tuesday evening, though authorities are holding his passport, an immigration official said yesterday.

Ouk Hay Seila, director of investigations at the General Department of Immigration, said yesterday that Ng Chin Chin, who was arrested at the Phnom Penh International Airport on Tuesday based on victim complaints, had offered to settle the matter with his accusers.

“He has agreed to settle, so we released him and seized his passport so that he can handle the case with his business partners,” he said. “The director general of immigration [Sok Phal] said we cannot detain him because it is a business matter, so we let him go settle with [the plaintiffs], but he cannot leave the Kingdom.”

Eleven people claiming to be victims wrote a complaint filed yesterday to the Interior Ministry and the municipal prosecutor’s office that they had been promised dividends for investing in a “network marketing” scheme for Solarwarm – a seaweed farming company – only to have the promise fall through. They are demanding some $300,000 be returned.

One alleged victim, who declined to be named, said the structure of the business was similar to a pyramid scheme, with investors recruiting other investors and receiving a 10 per cent cut of the money they bring in. “I invested $5,000 and was promised to get back $700 per month, but I only got around $1,000 and no more return on my investment,” he said.

Ro Bora, another complainant, called for legal action against Ng, saying the man “has not shown up to face the problem”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy