Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Malaysians snare Naga casino deal



Malaysians snare Naga casino deal

Malaysians snare Naga casino deal

T HE presence of the cruise liner "Heritage" on the Tonle Sap since Dec 3 was a sign that the Cambodian government had made a rapid decision as to the successful tenderer of the Naga Island casino - the single biggest investment ever in Cambodia.

Under the terms of the tender, the preferred bidder is given the right to operate a floating casino in Phnom Penh while the multi-million dollar Naga island resort off Sihanoukville is being built, which could be in two years or more.

The Naga Island tender closed on Nov 21; and Tourism Minister Veng Sereyvuth announced that Malaysian company Ariston had won the tender on Dec 9.

Ariston is an affiliate of the Malaysian FACB Bhd group headed by Dato Dr Chen Lip Keong, who has extensive business interests both in Cambodia and elsewhere in Asia. Some reports put those interests as high as $2.3 billion. Dr Chen also owns the Cambodia Times and the "Scratch and Win" lottery which was set up before the elections. The lottery closed after several months but plans have recently been announced to re-open it.

The deal will include the complete redevelopment of Sihanoukville, including an international airport.

The Post understands that an extensive refurbishment of the floating "Heritage" casino is now underway and will be completed early in the new year.

Sources say the interior will be lush, including bars and restaurants serviced by the Sofitel Cambodiana.

Though the Post was unable to contact Mr Sereyvuth to comment further on the proposal, he said in a statement: "Ariston has submitted a very interesting proposal involving the development of two casino resort islands, a floating casino, Sihanoukville international airport and extensive other infrastructure."

A formal agreement will be signed by Jan 31, 1995.

Three other short-listed bidders lucked out during the tender: Malaysia's Landmarks; Singapore shipping and property group Unicentral and Hyatt International.

It had been reported before the Nov 21 deadline that among interested groups were Australia's Jupiter casino and a group put together by Macau gambling and property magnate Stanley Ho. It is not known if those groups finally bid.

Mr Sereyvuth said Hyatt pulled out of its billion-dollar proposal after an extension of time for them to finalise plans could not be granted. It is the first time in Asia a casino project has been tendered.

The Royal government engaged four international consultants to help analyse the tenders. Accountants Arthur Anderson are a leading financial and operational gaming adviser; law firm Corrs Chambers are international gaming regulators; builders Acer Wargon Chapman have experience in big Asian developments including other casinos; and Lewis & Partners are an international property marketing firm.

The casino will have an eight-year tax exemption, and will pay nine percent thereafter. Gamblers will not be taxed on winnings and junket organisers who bring in "hig-roller" gamblers will also have tax exemptions.

The Tumnup II park is planned to the south of the Cambodiana along the riverbank. A busy community has built up on the waterfront and community groups say they have all been told to relocate.

The community is understood to be willing to move and proposed to the two Prime Ministers the Boueng Prayab site near Toul Kork.

An eviction notice had been served on Nov 25, and on Dec 12 police came and told them to remove their houses "or police would do it for them," one source said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants