Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Maltey aide, tycoon’s mother found guilty



Maltey aide, tycoon’s mother found guilty

Keo Sary, pictured at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in December, was convicted yesterday on bribery charges.
Keo Sary, pictured at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in December, was convicted yesterday on bribery charges. Hong Menea

Maltey aide, tycoon’s mother found guilty

The former right-hand man of the disgraced ex-president of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court and the mother of a tycoon jailed over murder accusations were convicted of accepting and paying bribes, respectively, at the municipal court yesterday.

Pich Prumhmony, former aide to jailed court president Ang Maltey, was sentenced yesterday to five years in prison – the minimum sentence for “passive trading in influence”, and one made shorter still when judge Yin Saroeun announced that three years of the sentence would be suspended. He also dropped the charge of interfering in the discharge of public functions.

Meanwhile, Keo Sary – the mother of businessman Thong Sarath, who stands accused of having his rival Ung Meng Cheu murdered – was sentenced to two years in prison for making an illegal payment to Prumhmony and ordered to pay a $1,000 fine.

Sary was already serving a prison term for illegal weapons charges. Prumhmony had also been serving another largely suspended sentence for interfering in the discharge of public functions when he was charged with accepting Sary’s bribe.

Sary allegedly told police she had given him $1,000 to show “gratitude to the big teacher of the court who got me and my husband released on bail”. Sary and husband Thong Chamroeun were later rearrested as they attempted to flee to Vietnam.

At trial, however, Sary said the money had been payment for fortunetelling services. Prumhmony, for his part, had denied accepting any money.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and