Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man, 21, confesses to murdering girlfriend



Man, 21, confesses to murdering girlfriend

Yen Sopanha, 21, who is charged with premeditated murder, photographed last year.
Yen Sopanha, 21, who is charged with premeditated murder, photographed last year. Photo supplied

Man, 21, confesses to murdering girlfriend

A 21-year-old man accused of murdering his girlfriend and dumping her body in a trash pile yesterday confessed to the crime during his trial at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, saying it took him about “15 minutes to strangle” her to death.

Yen Sopanha, who faces life imprisonment under the charge of premeditated murder, said he had asked his girlfriend, Keo Kanha, 19, a karaoke club worker, to pick him up at Klang Romsey market in Phnom Penh at around 2:30pm on November 15. He then persuaded her to go to his friend’s house in Sen Sok district.

“At 3pm, I strangled her to death with a cord while she was picking [up] her phone battery in front of the sofa,” he said in court. “It took about 15 minutes to strangle her.”

After the murder, the suspect wrapped the body in a blanket and dumped it in a trash pile, where a garbage collector discovered it the following day.

Sopanha had taken the victim’s bracelet, rings, mobile phone and motorbike, which he pawned for $320.

The suspect claimed he had “used too many drugs” on the day of the murder, and was dealing with problems at work because he had been accused of stealing $200.

In a strange twist, the victim’s mother, Seng Sary, asked the court to reduce the suspect’s punishment because Sopanha had “helped her family” after the murder.

His lawyer, Mun Vimeanchampa, asked the court to reduce the charge to murder, which allows for a lighter prison sentence of between 10 and 15 years.

A verdict is due September 20.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said