Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man, 68, to appear in court for rape of seven-year-old

Man, 68, to appear in court for rape of seven-year-old

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A 68-year-old man is questioned by police on Monday about the rape of a seven-year-old girl in Kratie province. police

Man, 68, to appear in court for rape of seven-year-old

A man alleged to have repeatedly raped a seven-year-old girl in Kratie province’s Snuol district will be sent to court on Tuesday, the provincial police said.

The unidentified 68-year-old suspect was arrested on Sunday after the victim’s mother lodged a complaint at the district police station, Nov Ratana, the provincial deputy police chief in charge of anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection, said on Monday.

Ratana said the suspect had confessed to raping the minor multiple times since March. “He said he regretted that he committed the crime and wanted to commit suicide by hanging himself,” she said.

She said the victim’s mother noticed on Sunday that her daughter looked pale. When the former asked the girl what had happened, the latter refused to answer.

Ratana said the mother took her daughter to take a bath when she noticed something unusual in her genitals. The mother asked the victim repeatedly about it but to no avail.

It was later revealed that the girl did not dare to admit that she had been raped because she was afraid that the suspect would kill her.

The victim then told her mother to ask her older daughter regarding the incident. After being informed of what had happened, Ratana said, the mother filed a report at the district police station.

Snuol district police chief Chan Sok Kim said the suspect and the victim are neighbours, and that the man had often lured the girl by giving her some cash and food.

The girl was sent to the provincial referral hospital for a medical check-up after police arrested the suspect pursuant to her mother’s complaint, Sok Kim added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • First case of coronavirus reported in the Kingdom

    Cambodia reported its first case of the deadly 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) on Monday, Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng announced. He said medical specialists detected the virus in a Chinese tourist in Sihanoukville. The minister said Jia Jianhua, 60, travelled from Wuhan city, where the outbreak

  • PM urges precaution amid virus outbreak

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday called on all Cambodians to bump up precautions to avoid contracting the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that has already killed more than 50 people in China. The prime minister told the public to remain calm but alert about the possibility of

  • Gov’t slams NGO over 2019 corruption report

    The government on Thursday slammed a report that described the Kingdom as highly corrupt. Government spokesperson Phay Siphan dismissed the latest Transparency International (TI) report as “just an advertisement of NGOs to promote their own interests”. Released on Thursday, the report puts Cambodia near the

  • Gov’t answers garment buyers’ complaint

    Some of the biggest buyers in the Kingdom’s garment sector have urged Prime Minister Hun Sen to address issues faced by unions and workers – a request a senior official said was out of touch with the situation on the ground. The letter addressed to

  • NBC’s digital payments to go live in next few months

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) will launch a Blockchain-based, peer-to-peer payment and money transfer platform in the next few months, its director-general Chea Serey told The Post on Monday. Dubbed ‘Project Bakong’, the scheme already has the support of 11 banks, with many more expected