Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man appeals Thailand double murder charge




Man appeals Thailand double murder charge

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ros Sokhon is appealing his 14 year prison sentence for the 2009 killing of a Cambodian couple in Thailand. Photo supplied

Man appeals Thailand double murder charge

A man serving 14 years in prison for the 2009 killing of a Cambodian couple in Thailand had his appeal to the Supreme Court heard on Monday.

Ros Sokhon, 25, told the court he had been working in Thailand in 2009 when he befriended Pork Seiha and his wife Huon Sokha.

In August that year, Seiha got into a fight with another man, the court heard. As Sokhon attempted to break up the fight, Seiha attacked him, with the appellant grabbing a knife to defend himself.

“Those fighting with the victim were arrested by the Thai authorities, but I don’t know how many. I returned to Cambodia. I ask the court to free me,” he said.

The court report from the original trial said Sokhon slit the female victim’s throat, while her husband was stabbed multiple times.

Oddar Meanchey provincial court found Sokhon guilty of “torture and acts of cruelty” under Article 210 of Criminal Code on August 8, 2011 and sentenced him to 15 years in jail.

Dissatisfied with the verdict, he filed a complaint at the Appeal Court, which, while finding him guilty of murder under Article 199 of the Criminal Code on April 30, 2015, handed down a lesser sentence of 14 years in prison.

Prosecutor Chhoun Chantha said that while the appellant had asked the court to reduce his sentence, the Appeal Court had previously already done so.

“I ask the court to consider this case according to the law,” he said.

Defence lawyer Ing Veasna said his client had committed the crime unintentionally and had confessed and shown remorse from the beginning.

Presiding Judge Khem Bun said the court will announce its verdict on Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM slams HRW ‘double standards’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has chided Human Rights Watch (HRW) Asia director Brad Adams for keeping quiet over protest crackdowns in the US following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25. Addressing reporters while inspecting infrastructure development in Preah Sihanouk province on Monday,

  • Bank robber of $6M asks to be released

    An accused bank robber who admitted to stealing $6 million has asked the Supreme Court to release him temporarily because he had returned the money. In a court hearing on Tuesday Chan Simuntha, 39, told the judge that on January 18, his wife Teang Vathanaknearyroth told him that

  • WHO: Antibiotics cause more deaths

    Increased antibiotics use in combating the Covid-19 pandemic will strengthen bacterial resistance and ultimately lead to more deaths during the crisis and beyond, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Monday. WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said a “worrying number” of bacterial infections were becoming

  • Children in poverty said to rise by 86M

    The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and Save the Children warned that if urgent measures are not taken, the number of children living in poverty across low- and middle-income countries could increase by 86 million, a 15 per cent jump, by the end of the year. In

  • Four more Cambodian peacekeepers get Covid-19 in Mali

    Four more Cambodian Blue Helmet peacekeepers in Mali have been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus, bringing the number of infected Cambodian UN peacekeepers to 10. National Centre for Peacekeeping Forces and Explosive Remnants of War deputy director-general and spokeswoman Kosal Malinda told The Post on Tuesday

  • Huge tracks of undocumented land a concern for registration officials

    Siem Reap provincial deputy governor Ly Samrith expressed concern that land registration plans for residents scheduled to be completed by late 2021 could not be achieved because 80 per cent of the land had not been registered. Land dispute issues are a major factor that poses a