Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man arrested close to two years after he maimed victim



Man arrested close to two years after he maimed victim

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Kub Pha (left) was arrested almost two years after he attacked San Chenda (right), leaving her without a left hand. National Police

Man arrested close to two years after he maimed victim

An almost two-year manhunt ended on Saturday when National Police forces arrested 43-year-old Kub Pha in Samlot district’s O’ Samril commune in Battambang province for attacking a woman with a cleaver and pouring acid on her in February last year.

The victim, San Chenda, lost her left hand in the attack, which occurred in Bati district’s Kandoeng commune in Takeo province. Pha, who is from Kandoeng, spent time hiding from authorities in Pailin, Pursat and Battambang provinces after fleeing Takeo.

Pha was initially charged with attempted murder by the Takeo Provincial Court on April 18, this year, under Articles 27 and 199 of the Criminal Code and sentenced to 14 years in prison in absentia. A warrant was first issued for his arrest on April 8, this year.

He was arrested on Saturday in Samlot district’s O’Samril commune in Battambang province in a joint effort with the National Police, Pailin provincial police and Battambang provincial police.

The Ministry of Interior’s Criminal Police Department chief, Ngeng Chou said on Monday that department experts sent Phas to Takeo Provincial Court on Sunday.

The Post could not find contact information for Chenda, who is also from Kandoeng commune.

According to a National Police report, Phas attacked Chenda on February 27, last year, after the two had a verbal disagreement.

Phas will begin serving his sentence from Saturday, when he was arrested.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Time to Rise by rapper, chapei legend is viral hit with ancient-modern mix

    Kong Nay is known internationally as the master of the chapei dang veng, a traditional Cambodian instrument resembling a long-necked lute or guitar with two nylon strings that he was already playing professionally by the age of 15. Nay is sometimes referred to as the Cambodian