Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man charged with raping step-daughter, 10, in Kratie province




Man charged with raping step-daughter, 10, in Kratie province

Man charged with raping step-daughter, 10, in Kratie province

The Kratie provincial court on Thursday charged a man for allegedly raping his 10-year-old step-daughter after arresting him in Snuol district on Tuesday.

Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Unit deputy chief Keo Chanthy said the 37-year-old man was charged with “rape with aggravating circumstances” under Article 241 of the Criminal Code. He faces up to 15 years in jail for the rape of “a person who is particularly vulnerable by reason of his or her age”.

“The accused step-father was charged and sent before an investigative judge for further action after police sent him to the court,” he said, adding that the suspected crime came to light after an NGO visited the alleged victim’s community to educate residents on health issues.

Chanthy said that the NGO staffers brought the girl to his office to file a police complaint after she “accidentally revealed” that she had been raped while being interviewed about an illness.

Acting on the complaint, police launched an investigation and questioned the girl, who recounted the rape to police. Soon after, police officials interrogated the father and he confessed that he had raped her on multiple occasions, according to Chanthy.

Chanthy said that the man had two daughters and became widowed after his first wife died from an illness. Later, he married another widow and took on her two daughters from a previous marriage as well.

He said the alleged rapes occurred when the mother left the girl under the care of the step-father when she went to work in a plantation.

Snuol district police chief Chan Sokhim said on Thursday that the alleged victim had not come forward on her own out of fear for her safety.

“We questioned the girl and she said if she told her mother that he [the step-father] had raped her, he would kill her,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that