Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man cleared as acid attack hunt goes on



Man cleared as acid attack hunt goes on

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Acid attack victims Kea Samnang (right) and his fiancée Sa Sokha, at the Preah Kossamak Hospital last week. Photo supplied.

Man cleared as acid attack hunt goes on

A woman suspected of orchestrating an acid attack against her husband’s mistress remains at large, police said yesterday, though they have released a man who was initially suspected of involvement.

Samraong Tong district deputy police chief Mech Sophoan said he was trying to track down Chhum Savun, while her mother, brother and sister all remained in police custody for their alleged role in Tuesday’s attack in Kampong Speu. “Right now we are continuing to seek and arrest the mastermind to send her to court,” Sophoan said.

Chea Ros, 36, was questioned but cleared by police after witnesses said he played no part in the assault.

The victim, Pheng Sreyla, 23, yesterday said she was getting a check-up in Phnom Penh. “Right now my right eye can see clearly, but the left eye is not clear,” she said, having been temporarily blinded.

Kraing Svay village chief Prom Aon said prior to the attack, his sympathies were with Savun, who had given Sreyla $300 to stop seeing her husband. “Before Savun was the victim, because Sreyla took her husband but Savun has gone from victim to perpetrator,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and