Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man in court for attempted murder




Man in court for attempted murder

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
a 26-year-old man was held on Sunday for allegedly attempting to kill a military policeman. Police

Man in court for attempted murder

Ratanakkiri provincial military police sent a 26-year-old man to court after he was held on Sunday for allegedly attempting to kill a military policeman who was intervening in a forest crime at Pak Touch village, in O’Yadav district’s Som Thom commune, in the province.

Provincial military police commander Thav Yen said on Monday that the suspect, who is a Jarai indigenous man living in the district, was arrested and sent to court for further legal action after a military police official pressed charges of attempted murder.

“The suspect has already been questioned. The court will make a decision whether or not to detain him,” said Yen who declined to identify the complainant.

O’Yadav district military police commander Sok Min said that earlier in March, military police officials from the district and the national military police were patrolling the forest when they saw five people transporting timber on three motorbikes.

He said the officials were aware that the timber was loaded illegally to sell in Vietnam, and when they tried to intervene, the suspects produced steel rods and moved in to attack the officials. “Luckily the officials were able to escape uninjured,” he said.

After the incident, the military police then carried out a week-long investigation, before requesting interventions from the court. The court then assigned deputy prosecutor Leang Ou to work on the case.

With approval from Leang Ou, the military police arrested the suspect on March 15. He is also said to have tested positive for drugs after the arrest. “The case concerns the attempted murder of an official from the national military police,” he said.

He said they were also looking for another four suspects in connection with the case, and that after the incident, some of the perpetrators were suspected to have escaped to neighbouring Vietnam.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.