Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man gets 12 years for raping daughter

Man gets 12 years for raping daughter

Man gets 12 years for raping daughter

A father convicted of raping his own daughter was sentenced to 12 years in prison on Thursday by Kampot Provincial Court, according to Judge Nguon Nara.

Phan Sophon, 33, was reported anonymously to NGO Action Pour Les Enfants in March this year on claims that he had repeatedly raped his daughter at their home in Kampong Speu, APLE’s Khoem Vando said.

Sophon was arrested by provincial police on April 5 after moving to Kampot province’s Chiva town.

“I can accept this verdict,” Sok Socheata, the victim’s lawyer, said yesterday.

“The judge’s decision will bolster the judicial system in Cambodia and warn others who commit the same actions.”

During the trial on August 23, the victim testified that her father raped her repeatedly last year. She has been living with relatives in Phnom Penh since the complaint.

“The mother was not aware of the abuse because she was away working,” Vando said.

“Initially the mother was not willing to file a complaint but she supports the prosecution.”

To contact the reporters on this story: Kim Yuthana at [email protected]
Rachel Will at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police