Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man held for raping teen daughter



Man held for raping teen daughter

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A man was sent to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Monday for raping his 15-year-old daughter twice last month in Dangkor district’s Pong Teuk commune. Police

Man held for raping teen daughter

A man was sent to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Monday for raping his 15-year-old daughter twice last month in Dangkor district’s Pong Teuk commune.

Deputy district police chief Chhim Bunroth said the 40-year-old father was arrested on Saturday.

“He will be questioned by the court in accordance with legal procedures,” he said.

Commune police chief Vorn Saroeun said the girl is married despite being underage.

He said she had split time living with her parents and husband, who resides in the same commune.

Before the first incident on March 13, the girl was playing with her smartphone at her parents’ house when the man came into her room asking to have sex with her. When she refused, the father raped her after making a death threat.

Saroeun said the man raped her again at the house on March 20. Out of fear of repeated rapes, she moved to live with her husband, who began to feel suspicious after hearing voice messages the suspect had sent to her.

“Now you sleep with your husband the whole week. Letting me sleep with you once a week would be enough for me,” the suspect was quoted as saying in one of the voice messages.

The girl’s husband then took her to the commune police station to file a complaint. With the girl’s accounts and voice messages as evidence, police arrested the man the same day. He confessed to raping his daughter twice.

Saroeun said the mother previously requested a marriage certificate for her daughter from the local authorities, but was rejected as she was underage.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through