Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man says thais shot him, seeks money

Man says thais shot him, seeks money

Man says thais shot him, seeks money

A Cambodian man who said he was wounded by Thai soldiers near the Cambodian-Thai border in Banteay Meanchey province says he is recovering after receiving medical treatment this week in the province’s Monkul Borei district. Pheuth Phim, 25, said he was shot in the leg on Sunday as he was collecting plants in Banteay Meanchey’s Dangkrek mountains. “I’m very happy to hear from the physicians that my injured leg is getting better, but I would like to appeal to the public to help me because my family is poor,” Pheuth Phim said. Banteay Meanchey provincial police Chief Hun Heng said Thai authorities said the shooting was part of a crackdown on illegal logging by Cambodians in Thai territory. Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Koy Kuong said this week that he had yet to receive detailed information about the case.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa