Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man seeks $5,000 for wife’s death in hospital

Man seeks $5,000 for wife’s death in hospital

Man seeks $5,000 for wife’s death in hospital

A MAN who blames staff at a prominent hospital for the death of his wife is demanding US$5,000 in compensation, while an ongoing court investigation appears to have stalled.

Ly Kok Meng said he is asking for $5,000 from doctors at the Cambodian-Russian Friendship Hospital, accusing medical workers of carelessness in the November death of his wife during childbirth.

“I don’t know if they will agree to pay what I have demanded, but the prosecutor told me that it is a suitable cost,” Ly Kok Meng said.

The man’s demand comes after court officials urged Ly Kok Meng to reach an out-of-court settlement in the dispute. He had previously told the Post he preferred seeking legal action to civil compensation.

No decision from court
Prosecutors last week questioned a representative for some of the hospital’s medical staff, but officials said Monday they had not decided whether to lay charges or drop the case outright.

“We haven’t yet finished [investigating] the case,” said Phnom Penh Municipal Court Prosecutor Sok Roeun, adding that the court is still waiting to examine hospital documents.

Ly Kok Meng’s wife, Ban Rany, died during childbirth at the hospital after she was injected with a serum. Hospital staff said Ban Rany suffered an allergic reaction to the serum, and Ly Kok Meng said that medical staff were negligent.

Dr Say Sengly, the hospital’s director, declined to comment Monday. But he previously said that Ly Kok Meng’s claims were baseless.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will