Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Man sent to court for murdering military officer in Banteay Meanchey



Man sent to court for murdering military officer in Banteay Meanchey

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A man is questioned after allegedly stabbing a military officer to death in Banteay Meanchey province’s O’Chrov district. police

Man sent to court for murdering military officer in Banteay Meanchey

A man was detained on Wednesday for allegedly stabbing a military officer to death in O’Beichoan commune in Banteay Meanchey province’s O’Chrov district.

Commune police chief Norng Samrang said the 26-year-old suspect from the commune’s Preychan village was arrested hours after fleeing the scene.

He identified the victim as 29-year-old Keo Pichreaksmey, the deputy commander of Platoon II based at the Cambodian-Thai border.

He said police immediately arrived at the scene after receiving a report about the murder.

“We saw the victim’s body near a motorbike while a one-year-old girl was crying. The body had several cuts on the head and neck,” he said.

He said after questioning witnesses, police deployed forces in search of the suspect at every entrance of the village before arresting him along with a knife as evidence.

Citing the suspect’s confession, district deputy police chief Khoem Savuth said the murder was an act of revenge following a heated argument during a drinking party last month.

He said the suspect held a grudge against Pichreaksmey after he threatened to shoot his head while drunk at the party. He had been monitoring the victim’s activities before the murder.

“We charged him with intentional murder after obtaining his confession. We are ready to send him to the provincial court on Thursday,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said